I always go to my Betty Crocker 'Big Red Cookbook' first because Betty has yet to fail me. Not once unless of course I stray the beaten path. I've learned my lesson with trying to deviate too far from the original recipe because let's face it they are pert near perfect already. This time is no exception. This pot pie has a flaky crust which makes it to die for mixed with the creamy sauce.
Chicken Pot Pie
slightly adapted from 'Betty Crocker Cookbook'
- 1/3 c. 'I Can't Believe it's Not Butter'
- 1/3 c. whole wheat all purpose flour
- 1 chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1-3/4 c. chicken broth
- 2/3 c. skim milk
- 2 chicken breasts, cup up and cooked
- 10 oz of frozen peas (could use any variation of veggies)
- 2 pie crusts
- Heat oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in onion, salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture is bubbly. Remove from heat.
4. In a 8 by 8 or 9 by 9 baking dish roll out one pie crust to cover the bottom and edges. Pour in chicken-pea mixture.
5. Unroll remaining pastry and if desired cut out designs (the cookbook suggested it so I did but not necessary at all) or small holes in the crust.
6. Pinch together the 2 pie crusts. Bake about 35-40 minutes.
Have a good night!